Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Justice

I have to give voice to my inner frustrations.  Why is everyone afraid to pray for justice?  Why is praying specifically for Justice, God's Justice, eyed with shame and almost accusation of being a merciless person, judgmental, unforgiving.  When did it become law that we are only allowed to pray for Mercy?

I asked the Lord about Justice, oh it was nearly 9 years ago.  His response was "justice restores hope." I pondered that, and realized that yes, it does!  Take for example a child who is being incessantly bullied at school, or even at home.  This child has become so very discouraged, downtrodden, hopeless by the injustice perpetrated against him every day that he no longer wants to live.  So, in comes justice.  Finally!  The perpetrator is reigned in, the child is free to come and go in liberty, his hope is restored!

There has been a strange line of thought in some Catholics that we are never to ask for justice in any situation.  I think it's because we are taught, and read constantly that Jesus suffered injustice, so we should, too.  Injustice has become our cross to bear.  Be humble, accept it, and trudge along.  I lived like this for many years, so I know what sort of life that is.  It's dark and miserable.  I think it's rooted in falsehood, and in emotional wounds.  If you grew up suffering injustice constantly; in your home, family, school, work and felt powerless to do anything about it, suffering injustice for Jesus daily then becomes your identity.  You already identify with the victimhood.  Now, you have it validated and affirmed because Jesus suffered it, too.  Now your constant acceptance of injustice is ingrained and you don't speak up against injustice. 

In following the riots that broke out due to an injustice, I began to pray to God for His Justice.  God's Justice is always perfect, fitting, and meant to bring about the good in any situation.  God's Justice is really Him putting things in a Godly Order.  There may be pain involved, discomfort, inconvenience, etc., but in the end it is revealed that God's Justice brought it about.  I saw in reading the Old Testament and the Psalms that "saving justice" was a term used alot.  I wondered what God's saving justice was, then it dawned on me.  It was Jesus.  Jesus came and set things in their proper order, God's order. 

So don't be afraid to pray for God's justice.  It is a good thing.  It does not indicate, nor call down fire from heaven.  It isn't wishing evil on others.  It isn't always punishment, as most think.  It is a beautiful, holy order.  It is what is desperately needed today in the Church, and in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Complaint from the Lord

 "As though I must win the approval of sinners.  They are promoting a false Christ to do so.  I do not need the approval of my creation...