Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Holiness #3

Sheen gave another reason why a crisis must come — “to prevent a false identification of the Church and the world.” Our Lord wanted his followers to be different from those who were not: I have taken you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.  (John 15:19)
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/joseph-pronechen/did-fulton-sheen-prophecy-about-these-times

I read this quote from Fulton Sheen and realize it confirms what the Lord is doing, and desires to do with those who will surrender.  I think this current crisis might be the opportunity for individuals, and the Catholic Church to leave the "world."   Not only us as individuals, but the Church itself was to be set apart.  There is certainly a fear of being set apart, that's true.  Being "singled out" is unpleasant, fearful.  There is strength and protection in numbers.  There is also the prevailing teaching, and societal rule of law that says you're nothing special so you should know God would never do that, set you apart.  He wants us in the world and only fanatics and people unable to deal with real life would think they should leave the world.  Who do you think you are?

Trust me.  I've heard it all.  From priests to laypeople, to family.  No one seems to understand what leaving the world means.  Their immediate response is "NO, you're supposed to be IN the world, just not OF the world."  Frankly, I see many, many Catholics who are very much OF the world.  They raise their children that way, also.  I see much of it as fear.  Fear that they, and their children will be unpopular, have no friends, be labeled as weirdos, fanatics, etc.  Bottom line is their fear of man, and their love of the world.  They just can't seem to see it. They are content to believe that they go to church, and bring their kids to church so they're good.  All good.  I don't know how many times I have heard that Catholic high schools are no better, in fact in some cases worse, than public high schools.  I was dismayed when I taught Religious Ed to fourth graders what they were exposed to, as Catholic children.  Ten year olds have a habit of revealing too much information.  I very often had to tell them nicely that they probably shouldn't share those things in class.  It made me sad, but angry to see and hear what was really going on in Catholic homes.  I don't think much has changed in the years since I quit teaching.  I think the root of the problem was parents who were uneducated in the faith, were excessively worldly, and very concerned about appearances. They had no firm Catholic identity, believing that all churches were the same.  That's still the problem in the Church.

I think this virus is the best opportunity there has been to jump off the train.  To make a firm decision to leave the world, and save yourselves and your children.  There isn't anything written about how to leave the "world".  It requires much prayer, desire, and trust in God.  Ask God in prayer to give you the desire to leave the world, and the wisdom to pursue it.  It requires a firm spine, something I did not have, but the Lord has taught me.  God has a plan for each person, each family and it is perfectly suited to you.  Whatever it is you need, ask for it.  Courage, perseverance, hope, direction, love, fortitude.  Ask for these things in your prayer, and the Lord will lead you where you need to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Complaint from the Lord

 "As though I must win the approval of sinners.  They are promoting a false Christ to do so.  I do not need the approval of my creation...